Thursday, July 29, 2010

Guinea Pictures

We purchased seven different varieties of guinea fowl. Each variety has distinct markings that help you identify them as keets (babies). This little one should be a royal purple. Royal purples are very dark and black in color with a purple shine. They have irregular dotting and barring in their flank area. THey show their color best in full sun.







Chocolate...they will be dark brown with a few dots and bars in the flank area.







Brown...dark brown with white dots.







coral blue...medium blue with darker coral blue on the neck, chest and back. A few dots and bars in the flank.










This one is pied, which means it will look somewhat like a penguin.










brown







violet
A dusty black with a purple shee. THey show their color best on a cloudy day or when the sun is at your back while looking at them. THey are a solid color.









chocolate





pied











i really like the pied ones :)





These are a bit outdated. The birds were 3 days old at the time. Now they have fully feathered wings and fly all around their "coop" (an old camper shell).

5 comments:

  1. Hello! My guineas are considerably older and larger. They do NOT make a lot of noise, although teaching them to roost in my newly built three story chicken coop has been a bit of a feat! I am raising them with my regular chickens, which are now laying. If you wish to contact me I'm still at bobcrowson@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where yous alls ats? Taint seen yas in bout a month now on line? Hoot Hoot? Where U at? Hoot Hoot!

    Sorry for the obnoxiousness ness.
    -Friends in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I see a uniform in that picture.

    German Volks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of something I read in Volume 2 (I believe) of No Greater Joy's newsletter excerpt collections. They told about raising mail-order chicks. Since they have no mother with them, they have to learn how to use their laying nests and everything else. The chicks also "hang out" in groups based upon age and sex, like teenagers do today in the Egyptian and Babylonian systems. Sad and it says a lot.

    Deutche Freund

    ReplyDelete