Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Little Of This and A Little Of That

Woohoo! We remembered the camera today! We are at the local MacDonald's (20 miles away) for some wireless time and playtime for the girls. They are excited! It might be the ice cream Daddy got for everybody...




Our woodshed area is coming along nicely. The floor is pallets that we were able to pick up for free and the sides are a few doors we found at the Jefferson City Pickup (also free).






Here is the stove we purchased and installed in our home. We haven't had a chance to use it yet, but we are looking forward to it. It is in great shape and should do well to suit our needs. (Mama is very excited about having a flat, indoor, chicken free place to cook.)









Daddy built a kitchen counter and some shelves for Mama. This has been a real blessing to begin organizing the chaos that is our home right now. Again, a chicken free zone to prepare food is awesome!!! Our three chickens have the bad habit of stealing our food if we are not watching diligently.






Yay! We have a front door now! We put an eave over the top after I took this picture and it works nicely to keep out the rain and still let us have some air.






The peach tree we picked up at Lowe's has about a dozen peaches on it. McGee is looking forward to eating them "when they grow bigger."

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for your family and think of you often. Congratulations on the expectation of another little one. I wanted to mention that CraigsList is a great place to find free items that you may find useful. I've seen some building supplies and basic household items that people are just looking to get rid of. Good luck! I love reading your updates, keep them coming. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you SO much! Look forward to seeing pictures of you all:). LOVED the pictures of the girls. Love you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how exciting! This looks great. Love what Husband has done with the kitchen. The stove is nice. I've been reading up on these and look forward to getting my wife one. The peaches are so neat to see and hear that you all have been blessed with things like this already. How's the well situation?

    For us, we continue to wean down our possessions. I was able to make to lamps sufficient for reading and for lighting a smaller room out of bacon fat. Yes! I was about to scrape the bacon fat down the trash but stopped, remembering something I read in an Encylopedia that said the first lamps were made with blobs of animal fat. So, yes, these two lamps make bright light and the amount of bacon fat was about a heaping tablespoon's worth, spread out across the surface of a jelly jar. After lighting the cotton wick, the fat melts to oil. There is hardly any odor at all and if you catch a faint whif "once in a blue" it is very mild and pleasant. It burns hotter than a candle. I've curled my arm hairs just by briefly reaching them and at a distance of 6-8 inches.

    We've also planted some vegatables in the ground (watermelon, bell peppers, 3 kinds of tomato, squach, and broccoli.) We are discovering the unique challenges of starting them in Germany. Lots of rain and the bugs love the watermelon leaves. The slugs seem to like the squash leaves as well but not so much. The rain has been hard on the bell peppers. The tomato plants are doing great, as is the brocolli.

    As for me, I've just about weaned myself of modern plumbing and electricity from the city source. I use spring water for just about everything, including showers, sanitation, and I don't need toilet paper anymore.

    I will stop there for now but good to catch up with you all and PS 133 and so we hope to talk more soon.

    Deutschlanders

    ReplyDelete